Though a congregation steeped within the Methodist traditions we are thoroughly ecumenical and take a full role in the work of Church at Castle, which we share with Anglicans, The United Reformed Church and the Romanian Orthodox Church.
Our mission and vision
Who we are
We are an inclusive, friendly worshipping community, where all are welcome, all of the time;
We want to know Jesus better;
We seek to put his teaching into practical and spiritual action wherever we are.
- To put worship and prayer at the heart of what we do;
- To explore different forms of worship.
- To develop our involvement with the disadvantaged in our community;
- To provide a safe space for relevant charities and groups, and develop a hospitable relationship with them;
- To support relevant charities, particularly those which work towards improving inequality, health, education, poverty and catastrophe relief.
- To live out and to campaign for social justice, equality, and the care of God’s world.
- To express in word and action our experience of Jesus’ love;
- To improve our individual ability to speak directly and confidently about the width and depth of God’s grace;
- To respond sensitively to opportunities for spiritual conversation with our groups;
- To share our Christian faith through all types of media.
Learning & Caring
- To build up our faith by deepening our understanding of the Bible and its contemporary significance;
- To share our experiences and wisdom;
- To recognise doubt as part of the journey of faith;
- To develop the spiritual life of our children through Junior Church and involvement in worship;
- To nurture each other’s talents in order to respond to God’s calling to service;
- To care for the pastoral needs of our congregation
We acknowledge we are a long way from perfect, but desire to be the kind of worshipping community God intends us to be.
Mission of the Methodist Church
The Methodist Church website has more information about our mission. For many members and friends at Castle Street, important aspects of our mission are:
Vision and values of the Methodist ChurchFrom the Methodist Church website:
More information about the vision and values of the Methodist Church.
The calling of the Methodist Church is to respond to the gospel of God’s love in Christ and to live out its discipleship in worship and mission. It does this through worship, learning and caring, service and evangelism.